- Soft texture
- Applies easily
- Dewy finish
- A little goes a long way
- Versatile applications
- Can settle into fine lines
- Can look powdery when applied over powder or matte base makeup
MAC Mineralize Skinfinish is the best highlighter for luminous skin. A baked powder that looks wet, it gives a beautiful, customizable glow.
Some links to purchase are affiliate.
MAC Mineralize Skinfinish: Glowing Skin is never tired.
MAC is known the world over for its iconic makeup formulas that’ve passed the test of time. Red lipstick wearers, chances are you’ve given a twist or two to a tube of Ruby Woo. They’re not new to the makeup game. Founded by a photographer and makeup artist in the 80s, high performing color makeup is MAC’s game. And they’ve never slowed down, serving generations of beauty industry pros, celebrities, and you and me the best of what we need to get creative with high performing, quality cosmetics.
I frequently reach for some of MAC’s most timeless fan favorites, like their Mineralize Skinfinish highlighter for the face and body. This baked powder highlight is a yummy enigma: It’s a powder that can somehow look wet. I dust it on lightly for a soft touch of allover glow. I also use it to create a gleaming, dewy highlight on my cheekbones. Or, I layer it up for bling that’ll make you squint. It’s a versatile product that can add just the right pop of light to any makeup look.
Quick Rating Rundown
Promises vs. Performance: A luxurious highlighter for all kinds of glow.
The MAC website makes but a few cool claims about what their beloved Mineralize Skinfinish highlighter can do. For one, this “slow-baked” powder undoubtedly lives up to being “luxurious” and having a “velvety soft” texture. It can be used to highlight the high points of the face or all over for a sheer, luminous polish, as MAC says. Infused in the formula is the MAC Multi-Mineral Complex and vitamin E for maximum blendability.
I’ve enjoyed Skinfinish for some time, and its a classic that rarely lets me down. What I love about the formulation is, although it’s a pressed powder, it has a creamy feel and looks dewy on the skin. I think the consistency and finish is best described as a “wet” dew. The highlighter provides a multidimensional effect, and it catches in the light beautifully. This powder highlight gives me the radiance MAC advertises. But, as with most products, there are a few cons. While long wearing, it can settle into fine lines if not really buffed into skin. And, it can look powdery when applied on top of more matte/powder bases. Personally, I love it best over top of cream radiant products to really add to that glowy look.
How Mac Mineralize Skinfinish Compares: The best highlighter powder.
MAC Mineralize Skinfinish is the kind of powder highlighter capable of converting diehard liquid highlighter devotees. (But, if not, here’s a favorite liquid formula, by Charlotte Tilbury.) This is a highlighter that can do it all: when applied lightly with a small brush to the high points of the face, it provides a dewy glow that’s perfect for every day or can be amped up for glam makeup looks. Skinfinish has a major fanbase, from makeup artists to everyday wearers. It wears beautifully on all skin types, even oily. However, make sure to buff it in so that it doesn’t settle into lines and pores! MAC Skinfinish also has nearly five stars among Ulta reviewers, and I wouldn’t argue with their glowing praise.
Beauty Lesson: 3 ways to glow using MAC Mineralize Skinfinish.
MAC Mineralize Skinfinish offers more than one way to achieve gorgeous glowing skin. I most often use it on the high points of the face as a highlighter. It also looks beautiful blended lightly across the entire face and anywhere on the body to add overall luminescence. Finally, a wet brush application can create a dramatic, chromatic effect.
- Highlight. Take a highlighter brush and swirl it onto your MAC Skinfinish. Tap the brush lightly to remove any excess product. Using light pressure, sweep the product onto the tops of your cheekbones in short, side to side motions. If you want to highlight your nose, apply the brush to the nose bridge in up and down strokes. If desired, follow by dusting a light amount of the highlighter onto the brow bones, forehead, chin, and above the upper lip.
- Allover glow. MAC Skinfinish can be dusted onto the entire face in light, circular motions with your highlighter brush to achieve an allover, luminous glow. Start with a the tiniest amount of product on your brush and gentle pressure. You can always layer more product until you hit the level of glowiness you’re going for. You can use this method anywhere on the body, like on the collar bones, arms, and even legs, for killer glimmer on your gams.
- Dramatic chromatic. When you want something more disco than dewy, a wet brush will do the trick. Dip a dampened brush into Skinfinish and apply the moistened product to the high points of the face (see method 1). MAC recommends their Prep + Prime Fix+ for this, and I also enjoy this product for the job. However, any facial primer or setting spray, or even a bit of water, will do.