- Easy to apply
- SPF 40
- Great skincare benefits
- Blue light protection
- Good shade range (30 shades)
- Not long wearing
- Doesn’t provide even wear
ILIA Super Serum Skin Tint fuses skincare, makeup, and SPF protection. It is a lightweight, easy to apply tinted moisturizer that is kind to skin.
Some links to purchase are affiliate.
ILIA Super Serum Skin Tint SPF 40: Big protection, big promises.
ILIA is a clean beauty brand on a mission to protect and revive your skin. They believe in skincare powered makeup that is effective and enhances natural beauty (sign me up!). ILIA Super Serum Skin Tint has built an extensive award repertoire and has earned itself a cult following. It landed on Allure’s ‘Best of Beauty‘ list in 2020 and received a number of ‘best foundation’ awards from Byrdie, Glamour, and even ‘Best Innovator Award‘ from Refinery29, to name a few. One of our Milabu editors, Maddie, raves about this product and how much it has helped her skin. But would I love it too? Let’s dive in.
Promises vs. Performance: An honest ILIA Skin Tint review.
The Super Serum Skin Tint is a “first-of-its-kind formula” that fuses skincare, makeup, and SPF protection in one. It contains SPF 40 via non-nano zinc oxide, which protects against UVA, UVB, UVC, blue light, and infrared rays. Hyaluronic acids and squalane work to hydrate, smooth, and plump skin while niacinamide works to soften fine lines and imperfections. This clean foundation is silicone free, fragrance free, oil free, and more.
Skin Tint is a very liquidy formula. It has a smooth application and applies much like a serum does. It dries down like a serum too, leaving a bit of a tackiness behind. The result is really beautiful, light coverage and a dewy finish that I love.
I wouldn’t go out and say this is a long wearing product by any means. It doesn’t wear super evenly on the skin. My forehead gets shiner than the rest of my face, but honestly wasn’t that bad and nothing a bit of powdering or blotting couldn’t fix. But, the bottom of my face is where it didn’t wear as well. A lot of the formula had really dried down, leaving my skin looking a little dry. But, if you’re looking for a tinted SPF, this could be a good one for you. Just beware it is a very dewy finish! If you aren’t into that finish, you could pair this with a matte primer and powder to tone it down some.
Quick Rating Rundown
ILIA:ILIA Super Serum Skin Tint
How It Compares: Which tinted SPF is better?
ILIA Super Serum Skin Tint creates the perfect skin-like base, while protecting from environmental stressors and working overtime to improve your skin’s natural appearance. This complexion product does do what it promises, though I can’t attest to the skincare benefits quite yet. It’s lightweight and is an easy, everyday foundation.
Coming in at $48 a bottle, the price is higher to its counterparts in the professional grade category. The cult favorite BareMinerals Complexion Rescue retails for $34 and has a much bigger following. It’s still the standard for this category of beauty, mostly thanks to the performance for the price as well as how long it has held icon status in the industry.
One of our Milabu editors, Maddie, can attest to the skincare benefits though. She has found that with consistent wear of ILIA Super Serum Skin Tint, her skin has improved. “I have found my skin to be more hydrated (thank you, hyaluronic acid and squalane) and the niacinamide has contributed to evening out my skin tone and fading my acne scarring. If you’re looking for a product that provides you with the perfect everyday coverage and has skincare benefits, check this one out!”
Milabu Beauty Method: How to make ILIA Super Serum Skin Tint last.
When applying Super Serum Skin Tint, keep in mind the color changes a bit. When first applied, the color may appear lighter. After about 30-60 seconds, the shade self adjusts and becomes its true color.
- To prolong the wear of this product, I recommend pairing a gripping primer underneath. Milk Makeup Hydro Grip ($36) would be a good option as it is gripping, but still dewy.
- Make sure to really shake up this product! The formula can tend to separate between the pigment, SPF, and skincare. Shaking ensures you get a blended formula.
- I’ve found the best way to apply this ILIA foundation is with my fingers. Dispense about half a dropper to your fingertips and rub them together to warm up the product.
- Begin applying Skin Tint much like you would apply a serum or moisturizer to your face. Add more product to achieve more coverage if desired.
- As we know, the finish of this product is very dewy. Setting this product definitely helps prolong the wear and will help tone down some of the dewiness. My all time favorite powder is Laura Mercier Translucent Loose Setting Powder ($39). You can also top off with a setting spray to really help extend the wear of Skin Tint (check out Urban Decay All Nighter, $33).
Tip: For a bit more coverage, apply with a damp BeautyBlender ($20). This helps pack on a bit more product!
Advertised Product Highlights
ILIA Super Serum Skin Tint SPF 40
Edited by Maddie