Are The Original Curlformers Any Good?
Price Category: Value
- $59.99 Retail
- Consistent results
- Produces defined culs
- Curls last 6-8 hours with little to no product
- Can be uncomfortable to wear
- Takes practice
Achieve corkscrew, spiral, or barrel no heat curls with the Original Curlformers by Hairflair. But, is this the best method?
Some links to purchase are affiliate.
What are Curlformers?
Curlformers have been around for a hot minute, but have recently gotten more attention as heatless curls methods have taken the Internet by storm. But, what exactly are they? They are rubber sleeve-like curlers that wrap around the hair with the help of a styling hook. It is recommended to sleep in them overnight to produce the best results.
Quick Rating Rundown
Promises vs. Performance: How well do they work?
Hairflair is the mastermind behind Curlformers, a heatless hair tool that can be used on all hair types, wigs, and waves. They promise zero breakage and zero damage – just easy, smooth, and healthy curls. Depending on which size you choose, you can create corkscrew, spiral, and barrel curls.
How To Use/Results
- Start with clean, damp hair.
- Section hair into a half up, half down style.
- Slide the Curlformer onto the styling tool.
- Grab a section of your hair with the hook of the tool and slide it to the root of your hair.
- Then, slide the Curlformer to the top of the hook, and pull it down your hair using the tool.
- Repeat process until your whole head is complete.
- Leave in for 4-6 hours, overnight, or speed up the process using a hair bonnet. Just make sure hair is fully dry before removing!
- When removing, squeeze the top of the former and pull at the bottom to gently slide the hair out.
For a more in depth tutorial, check out this video on the Milabu Channel.
Depending on which Curlformers you use, your results can vary. The green and blue Curlformers are narrow and create tighter curls. In my experience, the wider orange and pink ones create the best curls and are more comfortable to wear.The resulting curls are bouncy and ringlet-like, and would work best on medium to long hair lengths.
How it Compares: Curlformers work, but aren’t my favorite for no heat curls.
My favorite heatless curls method is a silk hair rod. For me, this one is the easiest, most comfortable, and travel-friendly method. The results are consistent and produce beautiful bouncy beach waves that last 6-8 hours (or longer with styling products!). Silk hair rods don’t result in any hair kinks or weird transition marks either.
Flexi Rods are my #2 pick, as they also produce consistent results. However, they do have a learning curve. It can take some practice to learn exactly how to wrap your hair around the rods for the best results. You do need styling products to get refined results after removing them, so this isn’t the most travel friendly heatless curls option.
Advertised Product Highlights
Edited by Maddie